SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker

2 posters

Go down

Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker Empty Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker

Post by fabred Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:50 am

I have a Bluetooth speaker and headset both support a2dp. My question is I use my speaker for music and my headset for calls. But I'd like to use the headset to hear notification and an app called outloud which reads me my texts from the notification bar. But they go through my speaker and not headset. HelP

fabred

Back to top Go down

Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker Empty Re: Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker

Post by SoundAbout Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:42 am

I don't know if Outloud is switching the audio output to speaker or not. If it is, there isn't much you can do.

If it is reading texts, then it probably uses Text To Speech.

If you have your headset on, and it supports Bluetooth A2DP and Bluetooth SCO (mono), then:

2] Open SoundAbout
3] Set "Media audio" to "Let app decide"
4] Click on "Text-To-Speech behavior"
5] Set your (Media Output) setting to (Bluetooth mono) or (Bluetooth A2DP).
6] Set the delay setting to what is good for you. I use (2.0 secs) for Bluetooth (mono).
7] If using an app that is reading a whole message, then the max utterance can be unlimited.
8] Click on "Android TTS Settings" to choose TTS engine. Click and choose SoundAbout TTS.
9] Click BACK button
10] Click on "SoundAbout TTS Engine" (this could be done in screen from #4 as well). If prompted by android to use ONCE or ALWAYS, use SoundAbout TTS as ALWAYS
11] For the the internal SoundAbout TTS "TTS Engine", choose the internal TTS engine you want. I use (Google TTS) or (IVONA Text-to-Speech HQ)
12] Click BACK button
13] You can click on "Android TTS Settings" again. Notice the SoundAbout TTS has a settings icon next to it. If you click on that, you can change languages....etc. You can even change the real "TTS engine" from #8
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker Empty Re: Bluetooth headset vs Bluetooth speaker

Post by fabred Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:55 pm

I was able to get outloud to work. However, I use Pandora and when I get a message it plays with the tts and I can't hear the tts through my mono because although it's speaking the music is louder. Surprisingly, it plays the media (I guess it changes it to mono real quick) . When I disable background audio, the tts doesn't work.

Also I'm trying to use voice search with my mono and I can activate it but I don't hear the results through the mono only the phone's speaker

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:08 pm

I've fixed the search audio function. I set the wait time 6 seconds then every other setting none. It allows me to hear all the tones

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Ok. Haven't fixed anything actually. The time settings didn't do anything for me. Now when I voice search the sA, it gives the results through mono.
Sighs.I dunno as I went to make sure that when sa is doing the voice search that everything is routing as mono, I play my music and now everything is working. Although I don't hear that audible that let's me know when to speak

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Like at one time, every sound was coming through mono. Music, keyboard taps..

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:53 pm

When I use out loud, it's comes perfect from my ad2p or phone speaker, when it activates, it lowers my music, speak, then finish then increases the music

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:42 pm

This all depends on the music app being used. I typically "allow background audio" for Text-To-Speech. I do this because some music players will pause when they lose audio focus.

When that happens, you have to go back to the music app and click on the PLAY button to continue.

Some other apps, like Pandora will resume, but the audio is not set back to the original "focused" level and seems quieter. This could vary for different versions of Pandora.

When I check the "allow background audio" for Text-To-Speech setting, the music app will play in the background during the notification, but is at a lower level, so I don't mind it.
Since the music continues and doesn't lose focus, the music app has no problem resuming normally. I find that this works best for ALL music apps. Any issue with resume and audio levels is a problem with the music app and can't be solved within SoundAbout.

Also when using Bluetooth mono, I configure SoundAbout Text To Speech behavior to delay the utterance by 2 seconds.

The issue with some app notifications not working when you un-check "allow background audio" for Text-To-Speech.

I noticed this problem with the default SMS texting app for my phone. If I un-check "allow background audio", then the SMS message won't get it's audio read by SoundAbout TTS.
My guess is that the SMS app is trying to keep audio focus and it fails because of OutLoud and SoundAbout are trying to control the audio.
By leaving "allow background audio" checked, it allows the SMS app to keep audio focus and it doesn't have an issue.

Some apps don't have this issue. For example, when I sent a message to Google Voice, it works fine. When I go into OutLoud , go into Preferences and click "Read Test Notification", it also works fine.

This audio stuff is tricky. If other apps don't play nice, there is not much you can do.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Ok. So Pandora normally lowers the audio level, but not when it's going through my headset. Could that be fixable?

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Here's something. https://imgur.com/w3p4fBq

When I uncheck the top one and use my mono as a stream Pandora works perfectly. But when during the handshake from a2dp to my mono something is not happening. That is normally happening when not though a2dp

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:32 am

When you have both "Bluetooth (A2DP) auto usage" and "Bluetooth (mono) (dynamic) auto usage",  the app will favor A2DP, if the headset supports both A2DP and mono.  

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by :
fabred wrote:But when during the handshake from a2dp to my mono something is not happening. That is normally happening when not though a2dp

Also, I just uploaded a new Beta version here:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:34 am

Oh I just happen to screen shot when I had both check, usually the top one was only selected)

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am

If the top one is selected (A2DP), does it work OK?

I'm trying to understand what you mean by :

fabred wrote:But when during the handshake from a2dp to my mono something is not happening. That is normally happening when not though a2dp

Are you saying that, when you are streaming music, using A2DP, the Text-to-Speech audio will not work for Bluetooth mono?

If you are streaming music, using A2DP, and then use Bluetooth (mono) for a Text-To-Speech notification, the music app may pause the music and then resume after the notification is complete. The music app may pause and not resume, after the Text-To-Speech notification. It all depends on how the music app handles losing the main audio focus (when another app temporarily plays audio).

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 pm

When I am not streaming through my a2dp d's through my mono, (as mono, cause although I can use my headset as a2dp, I have that option disabled via my headset settings) pandora behaves normally

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by fabred Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:16 am

?

fabred

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:02 pm

New version ready to go.

It addresses Android 6.0 and switching from Bluetooth A2DP to Bluetooth mono.

You can also get the latest Beta from here:

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down