SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust

2 posters

Go down

Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust Empty Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust

Post by _jtb Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

I recently installed SoundAbout on my Nexus One, running CM 7.1 (Android 2.3.4).  My use case is that I want the Bluetooth audio to continue playing, even if a headphone/aux out is plugged into the jack (see http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/26088/how-do-i-keep-my-headphone-jack-from-disabling-my-bluetooth-speakerphone-in-my-c).  SoundAbout seems to do this successfully for some users.

Unfortunately, as soon as SoundAbout runs, all sound (Bluetooth media, headphone out, call audio) is muted, and changes to any of those volumes have no effect.  For example, pressing the volume up key shows the volume dialog, but it always stays at zero.  The same is true when navigating to any of the sound menus in the settings and changing volume there.

Is this a known issue?  Is there any workaround?  I'd also be interested to look at the source code for the portion of the app that enables Bluetooth and the headphone jack, as I do some Android development myself and could try to isolate and fix the issue on my device.

Thanks,
John

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust Empty Re: Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust

Post by SoundAbout Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 am

Can you try the latest version in this list and see if it works any better?

The Beta versions are located HERE
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust Empty Re: Volume for all audio muted, cannot adjust

Post by _jtb Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 am

Wow, it works!  Thank you so much!  This is really great.  I spent some time looking through the Android source code and using reflection to poke around the audio service, but couldn't make it work.  I'm not sure how you did, it but this app does exactly what I want -- play sound through bluetooth even if headphones are connected, while still allowing the headphone controls to work.

Thanks again!

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:55 am

OK, I got the pro version and played around a bit, now that I know it's working.  Not sure if I should start another thread or post here.

The only issue I'm having currently is that my phone does not send phone calls to the bluetooth headset if a wired headset is plugged in.  Media audio goes to bluetooth, but phone audio still goes to the wired headset.  This is true even though I have the bluetooth behavior set to route calls to bluetooth when audio is set to "Let App Decide".

I can work around this issue by manually setting phone calls to go to bluetooth, but then if I turn off my bluetooth headset and leave the headphones plugged in, call audio does not go to the headphones.

This seems like a bug, although a very minor one.  It would be great if the phone audio could go to either wired or bluetooth in case one is plugged in, and bluetooth in case both are plugged in.

Alternatively I could use Tasker to do this, once the SoundAbout Tasker plugin is available Very Happy

Thanks again for a great product!

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 am

That's strange that phone call audio is going to the Wired Headset in that situation.

Can you try the latest Beta Version from this forum?  The directions are in the message for each Beta Version.

The Beta versions are HERE
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 pm

I am using the latest beta version.  I downloaded it yesterday.  I bought the Pro license key, but I'm assuming that doesn't downgrade the version if I have the newest beta installed, right?

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Also if there's any way I can collect debug logs for this issue, let me know.  Thanks!

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:15 pm

The Pro license should work with the Beta Version.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:49 am

I have another data point on this issue.  It seems that all troubles start when using the voice dialer with a bluetooth A2DP+call device connected and SoundAbout running.  This is with the latest beta version.

For more information, if I restart the phone and never launch SoundAbout, I can connect the bluetooth device and/or headphones and the voice dialer works fine in either case, I just get the default audio routing.  When I connect SoundAbout and my bluetooth device, then run voice dialer, I notice several things happening:

1. Bluetooth goes into a weird state between connected and not connected.  Bluetooth settings menu shows bluetooth device connected as phone but not media (previously was both), but no communication is possible. Tasker thinks bluetooth device is disconnected. No audio routes to bluetooth device.
2. Sometimes I can get back to a working state by toggling bluetooth on the phone and power cycling the bluetooth headset, but sometimes I cannot even change the bluetooth setting on the phone.  Only restarting the phone brings it back.
3. Also, sometimes killing SoundAbout and doing the above gets things working again, but sometimes that also leaves bluetooth in a very bad state and I again have to restart the phone.

In summary, everything seems to work fine as long as I don't use the voice dialer with a bluetooth device connected.  Once I do that, with SoundAbout running, the whole bluetooth system gets in a weird state and behaves somewhat unpredictably after that.

Thanks!

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am

I have noticed a lot of issues with Android when using Voice recognition and Bluetooth. I notice it more if there is a Bluetooth A2DP connected to the phone (even if not being used).

Are you connecting any A2DP media device or just Bluetooth phone profile?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:37 am

It is an A2DP device, connected as phone + media.

However this issue only happens when SoundAbout is running, bluetooth voice recognition works fine with the same headset if I do not run SoundAbout.

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:41 am

Yes, this seems to be related to a problem I've been seeing for a while with Bluetooth and voice recognition.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35737
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:42 am

But bluetooth voice dialer never has a problem when SoundAbout is not running... ?

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:44 am

Does it just not recognize your voice, or it won't run at all?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:52 am

Basically, as soon as voice dialer starts up, the headset disconnects.  However the Android bluetooth menu thinks the headset is still connected, but no sound goes to the headset (media or phone).  In addition, the bluetooth functionality on the phone becomes very flaky -- sometimes I cannot turn bluetooth off or on, sometimes I can't even go to the bluetooth settings menu.  The behavior is different sometimes but bluetooth functionality only becomes stable again if I restart the device.  I even noticed that the headset thinks it is still connected, and I have to power cycle it before it will connect again.

I think something is happening where SoundAbout is changing the bluetooth configuration while it is in a transitional state, and this causes bluetooth to become unstable. Maybe the radio itself is still connected but something in the software stack is out of sync due to a race condition.

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:54 am

I will have to see if voice dialer is triggering the phone call event.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _jtb Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:55 am

I think it might be. I have some other Tasker tasks that launch on the phone call event, and they seem to be happening when the voice dialer opens.

_jtb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down