SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears"

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears" Empty Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears"

Post by jegor Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

I don't know if "Get rid of Android 4.3 constant notification." resolved in version 2.5.4.9 refers to my problem, but I have LG Optimus G on Android 4.1.2 Euro version that is killing me with nagging to stop turning the volume up in order to protect my hearing.

Even worse it turns the volume down to about 66% every time I plug in the phones (if I leave the volume at levels greater then 75%).

I use the phone in my car connected through phone out -> AUX to the car stereo, so I can use it as a handsfree (that's why I bought this app in the first place) and that AUX is not very sensitive. I'm allways listening music this way, using navigation and making calls if necessary, and when I reconnect the cable to my phone, Android resets the volume and I have to go through those apps to set the levels again and again.

There is a thread on Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker about this, but it seems that it is somehow mandatory to be included in stock Android by Euro laws.

Is it possible to work something around it?

jegor

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears" Empty Re: Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears"

Post by SoundAbout Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 pm

I'll look. I'm not in Europe, and don't have this restriction so it may be hard to test.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears" Empty Re: Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears"

Post by jegor Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I'll do the beta testing if you know where to start on this issue. I'm not a tech guru but I know my way around.

jegor

Back to top Go down

Post by jegor Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:05 pm

The more I read about this problem around the Internet the more I find that this is not isolated to Europe. The update for Nexus 4 and 7 to 4.2.1 and 4.3 does this randomly in the USA.

jegor

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Yes, so far I read that if you have a rooted phone, you can just delete a file.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:47 am

I looked into doing it myself, but it requires "Secure Settings permission". SoundAbout can't get that permission without rooting.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jegor Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:44 am

I think you should make another app for this. There are money to be made with this issue Cool

With nagging I can live somehow, but turning the volume down on it's own is just plain rude.

I don't mind rooting my phone. I just don't feel the need for that right now, but I sure will to resolve this problem.

jegor

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:45 am

I wonder if I made a special app just for this if Google would get complains from the UK and take it off Google Play?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jegor Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:26 am

I don't think that they would take it off completely, but they can restrict access from some regions.

By the way, I had to fool the Google Play that I am from another country (via VPN) just to be able to purchase apps with my own money, but I don't see it happening with western EU countries.

You can rise some dust on XDA if that happens and make some free publicity, that is one more thing why is it more convenient to make separate app. I can see headlines: "The app VolumeAbout, from the maker of popular app SoundAbout, got kicked off the Google Play from some markets..." Laughing You just can't lose Wink

jegor

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears" Empty Please find a fix for this!

Post by bavarian Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Would very much love to see a fix for this--there could be a lot of demand. I'd be happy to pay a few dollars so I don't have to raise the volume on my phone every time I'm using the headphone jack to connect to my car's audio.

FWIW my iPhone4 never had this issue, and it is one of the few things I don't like in my Galaxy S3, now that Soundabout Pro fixed the Bluetooth issue.

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:21 am

Take a look at the latest Beta version:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions

2.5.6.8 - New settings in "Wired Headset behavior" named "Plug-in Volume On/Off" and "Plug-in Volume". This lets you set a default volume for a headset when it is plugged into the device. This will help if you are getting a prompt that automatically lowers the volume when plugging in headphones.

Let me know if it works.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bavarian Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Just installed and tested the fix: it works perfectly! Thank you so much, please let the other users know that this is now a part of your software.

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 pm

That's great!

I have a few new settings, so I will have to update Google Play when I release it. The problem is that Google Play limits the space that I have. I may have to post a link to a web page instead. I am also trying to create an internal help section in the app. I can't do search, but it will have the initial sections of the app settings to narrow down what you are looking for.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Getting rid of constant nagging about "Protecting my ears" Empty Problem with low volume fix for audio jack

Post by bavarian Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Sorry to say, I'm having an interesting problem with the new fix. When I first use the galaxy with the headphone jack plugged in, the volume starts out at about 60%, and when I raise it I get the popup warning. (I checked to see that the volume had been at max before using the jack). On subsequent uses (after unplugging the jack and inserting it again, the volume remains at 100%--my preset maximum). What could be causing this? Is there a setting I am overlooking? At least I don't have to adjust the volume every time I get out of the car and back in....
Please help!
Thanks

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 pm

1)
(I checked to see that the volume had been at max before using the jack wrote:
Are you referring to the "Plug-in Volume On/Off" setting being at 100% before plugging in the headset or was the regular volume at 100% before plugging in the headset? How did you check the volume?

2)
the volume starts out at about 60%, and when I raise it I get the popup warning. wrote:
The pop-up is happening when you raise the volume? I thought it was happening when you plugged in the headset. There is not much I can do about the pop-up when you raise the volume. If I detect you raising the volume and put it back to the "Plug-in Volume On/Off" setting, it would be annoying as you couldn't change the volume on your own.

3)
On subsequent uses (after unplugging the jack and inserting it again, the volume remains at 100%--my preset maximum). wrote:
Is the "Plug-in Volume On/Off" setting at 100% or is it at 60% when you plug in the headset? If the "Plug-in Volume On/Off" setting is at 60% and the volume goes to 100%, when you plug in the headset, there could be an issue that I would have to look at.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bavarian Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 pm

(1) The regular volume on my phone, not your app's. Your app's plug in volume is set at 100%. I made sure the volume on the phone was turned all the way up before I plugged in the headphone jack. I just tested it again--restarted the phone, plugged in jack, started Pandora app, and the volume was at 60%, tried again with Tunein radio, same thing--by the way, this time no popups when I raised it to full volume.
(2) The usually always comes on when you raise the volume, NOT when the jack is plugged in--that is the factory setting, I'm sure. The warning popup is not a problem, because it is small and goes away quickly. Having to raise the volume is the pain.
(3) I always keep your app's new plugin volume set to 100%

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:37 pm

1) When you check the regular volume of the phone, before plugging in a headset, how are you checking the volume level? Are you going into the phone settings and looking at all the volume levels? Most of the time, you will see a Music&Video volume level. That level will be different depending on which audio output is currently in use.

If no headset was plugged in, you would be looking at the volume for the phone speaker, not the headset volume (if you are pushing the volume rocker up or down). The volume levels are separate.

The same thing goes for plugging a headphone without a mic and then plugging in a headset with a mic; they will also have separate volumes. You will noticed this if you switch the "media audio" to "Wired headset (with mic)" and then switch it to "Wired Headphones".

2) It sounds like the volume setting works if you un-plug and plug-in the headphones, but when you restart the phone and plug in the volume, it isn't using the "Plug-in volume" setting. Is that correct?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bavarian Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 pm

(1) the application settings for volume (under sound) has 4 levels: music etc.,ringtone, notifications,system--they are all set to max (there is no separate volume for headset). After I plug in the headset and connect to Pandora, I see that the volume is at about 70%. Here is the interesting part: I raise the volume to max (on the phone), exit Pandora (but do not restart the phone itself), and when I plug in the headset again and start Pandora (or another app for music) the popup at the bottom of the screen says "Volume changed to plugin volume setting" and I don't have to raise it. This only happens AFTER the first time use of a headphone and having raised the volume manually.

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Yes, there are times when I have to tell the app to check if the headset is plugged in. When I do this, I don't want to set the volume to the "Plug in volume" setting, so I set a switch and set it back right after using it. This switch must be getting turned on when the app shuts down. When you restart the switch is on, so the first time you plug in the headset, it ignores the volume setting.

I am fixing this now.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:53 am

OK, try the latest Beta version here posted tonight:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bavarian Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:50 am

I just downloaded the fix 2.5.7.0. Unfortunately it does not work correctly. When I start my application (Pandora) with the headphone jack plugged in, the volume shows 65%, and has to be raised manually. However, when I unplug the phone jack, it jumps to 100% by itself! I have tried this several times and re-installed the update, same result.

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 am

When it jumps to 100% while un-plugging, so you still see the message?  I'm wondering if Pandora might be doing something with the volume on it's own.  Can you try another media app to check what happens?  Also, send me a private email through the message board.  Include your email so I can reply.  I have something that you might benefit from.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bavarian Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:54 am

Same result with Tunein Radio app. Warning message still pops up. You have my emails going to your woodslink.net address, but will send you another one now

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by bavarian Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi David,
Unfortunately the app now does not allow the phone to work in my car. I am certain the settings have not been changed, and I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. When receiving a call in my car (with the headphone plugged in or not), the phone rings, but I cannot hear anything and neither can the caller. When I unplug the headphone, the headset symbol stays lit as if there was something plugged in. When I uncheck that button, it still does not work. Any thoughts? It used to work just fine before the 2.5.7.0 patch....

bavarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 pm

Which headset symbol stays lit? Are you referring to the SoundAbout headset toggle widget, the SoundAbout status bar icon, or the Android headset status bar icon?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum