SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX?

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX? Empty How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX?

Post by goodtom Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Sorry if this is in a wrong section. I tried to post this in the "How do I...", but it seems it requires special permission.
In any case, here is what I want to do:

I want the navigation voice redirect to my bluetooth headset
I want the notification voice redirect to my bluetooth headset (such as the response from Google Now or the app Voice Notify)
I want the music/video play the output audio to AUX.

Is this workable?

goodtom

Back to top Go down

How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX? Empty Re: How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX?

Post by SoundAbout Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 pm

This is the place.  The "How do I" section is where I put quick directions that aren't necessarily bugs.

You questions depend on the phone/car Bluetooth and the Navigation app.  I've made some recent updates to allow More Navigation apps to use the SoundAbout TTS engine.

1) Music audio to AUX (3.5mm wire) - If you phone can detect the 3.5mm wire being plugged into the phone, then you can leave the "Media Audio" setting on "Let app decide".  If the phone has an issue with the headset jack detection then go into "headset behavior" and un-check "Wired headset detection", then change "Media audio" to "Wired Headphones".  The car stereo should be on AUX and now you should hear the phone audio through the car speaker.
(I assume you want to use the Car's Bluetooth phone profile to send audio while listening to music on AUX)
2) Go into the SoundAbout "Text-To-Speech behavior" section.  
3) Change these "Text-To-Speech behavior" settings:
"Audio Output" - Bluetooth mono
"Max utterance" - 1 or 2 (this is because Google Nav will request all audio at the beginning of the trip.  This won't work for what we are doing)
"Delay utterance" - 1.5 seconds should give the phone time to switch to Bluetooth mono and avoid losing any directions.
4) Click on "Android TTS settings".  Change the TTS Engine to "SoundAbout TTS".  SoundAbout TTS will have its own settings icon to update Language or change the "real" TTS engine used in the background.  Click on "Listen to example" to see if a message plays over Bluetooth.

Bluetooth mono may not work on all cars. Some kind of work, then disconnect and things like that. I can't really help that as this is an unconventional method to try and force audio to Bluetooth by faking a phone call.

Also, Take a look in the Beta section.  There are always updates that may resolve issues you are having and you can give feedback if the Beta works or not:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX? Empty Re: How do I output the navigation and notification audio to bluetooth and music to AUX?

Post by goodtom Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. My car doesn't have bluetooth, but I do have a bluetooth headset. I believe it should play the same Smile

Thanks again and I'll give it a try later

goodtom

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 pm

The headset may actually work better. Is the headset a Bluetooth media A2DP headset or a Bluetooth phone mono headset?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goodtom Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I assume that is a Bluetooth phone mono headset (Motorola HK 100)

goodtom

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

yes, it is.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goodtom Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:37 pm

It's acting a little bit weird..

I was trying to use waze at first, but the navigation sound didn't go to my bluetooth, then I was thinking maybe it only supports Google Navigation. Then, when I try again this morning for waze, the direction goes thru my bluetooth which is good.

However, the music that I was playing with my 3.5mm AUX is stopped when the direction audio is speaking thru my bluetooth and then resume when the direction is done. I am using winamp. Do I need to use any kind of native player such as Google Music to play my local music in order to have the music playing non-interrupted while waze talk me the direction thru my bluetooth headset?

goodtom

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:27 pm

You can check the SoundAbout "Text-To-Speech Behavior" section and see if "Allow background audio" is checked. If so, it is most likely WinAmp that is detecting the directions and pausing its music.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goodtom Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 pm

!!!! This is not looking good.. I didn't set anything.. All set to "Let App Decide", and now the mp3 is playing thru my phone's speaker..

Under Media audio, I tried to set "Wired Headphones" and "AUX Digital (HDMI)", but the sounds are still coming out from Phone's speaker

Sad

goodtom

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 pm

What phone and version of Android do you have? My old Moto Droid won't allow media to Bluetooth mono no matter what I do.

If "Media audio" is set to "let app decide", then the settings in "Bluetooth behavior could come into play.
When "media audio" is on "let app decide", the default settings will check if :
1) Bluetooth media is connected. (probably no in your case). This can be changed in Bluetooth behavior.
2) Is wired headset or cable plugged in (if phone is detecting correctly)
3) Just use phone speaker.

That is strange that your phone is not detecting the 3.5mm wire being plugged in. Some phones have issues with that. My phone has that issue.
To get music to play through AUX 3.5mm and navigation through Bluetooth headset I have settings:

1) SoundAbout "Media Audio" set to "Wired headphones". Car stereo is on AUX. Instead, I could have the "Media Audio" set to "let app decide", and have the "headset toggle" widget set to ON.
2) Play must and see if it comes out of car stereo. Is the 3.5mm cable able to connect properly with your case on? Some get in the way so you have to buy a thin 3.5mm cable or take off the case (PITA).
3) Go into Text-To-Speech behavior" settings:
"Audio Output" - Bluetooth mono
"Max utterance" - 1 or 2 (this is because Google Nav will request all audio at the beginning of the trip. This won't work for what we are doing)
"Delay utterance" - 1.5 seconds should give the phone time to switch to Bluetooth mono and avoid losing any directions.
4) Click on "Android TTS settings". Change the TTS Engine to "SoundAbout TTS". SoundAbout TTS will have its own settings icon to update Language or change the "real" TTS engine used in the background. Click on "Listen to example" to see if a message plays over Bluetooth.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goodtom Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks.. I will try these suggestions later.

I am using LG Nexus 4 Android 4.3.

goodtom

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 pm

I know Android 4.3 changes some Bluetooth drivers/versions, so you may want to also check if regular phone calls...etc work on the Bluetooth headset.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:48 am

I have a Note 2, and I want to do the same thing. I tried all the setting you  
provided, but still all audio is routing to AUX. Sad

Edit: I noticed that when I play a sample it works fine.

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 pm

If the sample works fine, then the next question is what Navigation app are you using? Does it use Text-To-Speech? It may also do its own audio routing which will over-ride SoundAbout.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:34 pm

I tried waze and Google, no go on each. But I just noticed it works with car home ultra (when it announces city) Strange.......

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Google usually works as long as it is using TTS for the street names.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:43 pm

I'll tinker around tonight, maybe I have a conflicting app... I miss my Evo..

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Okay, looking around on waze I found that it uses its own tts. But why isn't Google working? Is there a work around to get it to use soundabout tts?

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Okay, I got it working with Google Nav. Smile  Now I just need to tinker around with Waze and see if can get to use the Soundabout TTS. You definitely got my Money!

Last edited by ianmaddox on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by goodtom Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:16 pm

goodtom wrote:I was trying to use waze at first, but the navigation sound didn't go to my bluetooth, then I was thinking maybe it only supports Google Navigation. Then, when I try again this morning for waze, the direction goes thru my bluetooth which is good.
I tried twice sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.. I don't know.. maybe I'll need to try more time to confirm it

goodtom

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Now I'm getting two voices on Google Nav Sad 

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:47 pm

That's a bug in Google Nav. I looked at everything to get rid of that. It seems as if Google nav plays a pre-recorded file right at the beginning of the directions. I get an extra "Head west" in the background while the "real" directions are playing. If I try a nav app like CoPilot, it doesn't happen, so I know it is Google Navigation.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Yeah I found out the issue. It defaults to a voice file located in \Android\data\com.google.android.apps.maps\testdat a\voice. I tried deleting and restating. it works for a little bit, even has a pleasant ringing noise before the voice prompt. But unfortunately the file comes back!!

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by ianmaddox Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Maybe I can change the permissions, see if that works

ianmaddox

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 pm

It seems to regenerate it. Maybe create a file with that name with an empty sound.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next