SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can SoundAbout play Google Nav through my car speakers? (Ford Sync)

2 posters

Go down

Can SoundAbout play Google Nav through my car speakers? (Ford Sync) Empty Can SoundAbout play Google Nav through my car speakers? (Ford Sync)

Post by ChrisB Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 pm

I had d/l SA and began tinkering with various settings late last week. Unfortunately, the trial period has expired, so I can now no longer access all of the options but I have not yet figured out if SA can truly solve my issue.

I have a 2012 Ford Escape with Sync. I use a Motorola Droid 4. I have a Smart Action set on my phone, so that when I place the phone in my car dock, it automatically activates BT and connects to the car's Sync. This works fine for phone calls, but I had recently noticed that voice navigation directions were not being heard (at all! Not even through the phone's speaker). Another forum helped me to partially solve the problem - go to the settings of the Sync paired device and simply uncheck the "Use for media audio" option. This allowed for the nav audio to play through the phone's speaker. While it's certainly better than no audible, it's not very loud. Ideally, I would like the nav directions to interrupt whatever audio is playing through the car speakers (AM/FM, CD or Sirius) and be broadcast over the car speakers and then return back to previous audio. Is this something SA can do for me? If so, I'm happy to purchase the Pro version of the app.

As mentioned above, I did begin tinkering with the app and was encouraged that it might fit the bill for me. Although I didn't have it quite right, here's what I was experiencing - I used the TTSpeech section and I think I had the BT mono option selected (again, I can't access so the options so apologies if I'm incorrect - I didn't get a chance to write down what settings I was using). The first couple of nav directions did not play through the car speakers. However, the next few did. It wasn't exactly seamless, though. The Sync 'screen' would read that a phone call was coming in - there was anywhere between 8, 15 or more seconds of 'dead air' and then an instruction. If that's the best the app could function, I could even live with the dead air, I guess.

But it was acting funny beyond that. The Sync was frequently reading "Phone" and the radio was being interrupted, but no audio coming through (there was no nav instruction that should have been coming through either) - quite a lot of 'phantom' calls. Then it returned to functioning with some nav instructions playing. Subsequent trips, when I purposely did not use nav to see what would happen, the 'phantom' calls continued.

This could all be due to the fact that I didn't have quite the right configurations of settings. Could you help shed some light? Do you think that SA (Pro, I'm assuming) can make my hardware function the way I would like? Any tips on the best configuration of settings would be greatly appreciated.

Motorola Droid 4 / Ford Sync / Google Navigation / Bluetooth (I do have an Aux cable input in the vehicle if that will help, as well as a USB)

I look forward to your response and thanks for your help.

Christine

ChrisB

Back to top Go down

Can SoundAbout play Google Nav through my car speakers? (Ford Sync) Empty Re: Can SoundAbout play Google Nav through my car speakers? (Ford Sync)

Post by SoundAbout Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:26 pm

1) First, go into the phone settings, then Manage apps.
2) Scroll and find SoundAbout and click on it.
3) Clear cache, Clear Data, Force Stop, and un-install.
4) Install the latest Beta version from here (you should get full trial options):
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions

5) Follow the Text To Speech instructions here:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/t202-navigation-text-to-speech-audio-to-various-outputs-bluetooth-mono-in-car

6) If you hear Google Nav trying to speak with two voices at once, follow these instructions:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/t201-get-rid-of-double-voice-when-using-google-navigation-and-soundabout-tts
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down