SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program

2 posters

Go down

galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program Empty galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program

Post by barrfy Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:05 pm

I use fbreader and a tts program to read ebooks. Since updating to soundabout 2.5, whenever i initiate the speak function on fbreader, it asks which tts program to use. Even if i select 'always' and choose a tts program, it doesn't remember my default preference and asks again. Update 2.51 doesn't solve the problem either.

barrfy

Back to top Go down

galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program Empty Re: galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program

Post by SoundAbout Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:57 pm

If you go into Settings, Lanuage & Input and then Text-to-speech output, then manually choose a preferred TTS Engine does it still prompt you? I don't get prompted.

1) Are you using a special ROM
2) Could FBReader always prompt if you have more than one TTS Engine installed (you may have only had one before)?
That is strange that you choose ALWAYS and it doesn't stick. Is there another setting within FBreader that could be doing this?

I will have to try FBreader and see what happens. It could be an issue with FBreader when you have more than one TTS engine.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program Empty Re: galaxy s3 not remembering default tts program

Post by SoundAbout Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Also,  SoundAbout TTS is just a wrapper, so you can still use any REAL engine that you want.

1) Go into Settings,  Lanuage & Input and then Text-to-speech output.
2) Choose SoundAbout TTS, you can then click the "settings icon" to the right of the SoundAbout TTS title.
3) Choose the "Settings for SoundAbout TTS".
4) Click on TTS Engine.
5) Pick the TTS Engine you want to use.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by barrfy Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Yes, svox is set as the default tts in the settings. FBReader doesn't default to that, i guess.

1. I'm using frosty jelly bean 11.6.
2. Yes, it has prompted before since i also had Samsung and google tts programs stock. Choosing 'always' would solve that problem in the past though. You did give me an idea as a work around. I froze those programs so i only have my preferred, so it isn't prompting me any more.

I'm not seeing any settings in FBReader relating to tts.

I tried using soundabout tts and it was weird. Stopping playback in FBReader wouldn't stop the tts from playing. I had to reset the device to end playback.

Also, i don't think 2.5 caused the problem. I restored an earlier version of soundabout and it's still not working right. I have no idea what triggered this problem, but i know freezing soundabout stops it from happening.

barrfy

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Stopping playback in FBReader wouldn't stop the tts from playing

This is because FBReader sends all the text to be processed and SoundAbout TTS puts it in a queue. When you hit STOP in FBReader, no command is sent to SoundAbout TTS to tell it that FBReader should stop, so SoundAbout TTS keeps processing all the text in its queue.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down