SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Audio and Voice Through BT Headset

2 posters

Go down

Audio and Voice Through BT Headset Empty Audio and Voice Through BT Headset

Post by SL Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm writing an app for Android and testing it on a Nexus 7 running 4.3. I am using a Plantronics Legend as the test BT headset. I need both the audio and the voice recognition for the app to go through the Bluetooth, so I purchased the Pro version of your SoundAbout app. I played with the settings a lot and I was able to get either the audio or the voice recognition to go through the BT, but not both. Further, the audio that did come through started to stutter and now I can't get normal audio to come through it either. I tried resetting the headset and even did a factory reset on the Nexus but it didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SL

Back to top Go down

Audio and Voice Through BT Headset Empty Re: Audio and Voice Through BT Headset

Post by SoundAbout Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 am

What SoundAbout settings are you using and how are you testing?

I don't use the "Bluetooth behavior"/ "(Mono) microphone override" setting, if I want the audio to go through the Bluetooth headset.

To get both audio and mic to work from a Bluetooth headset, I just set the "media audio" setting to "Bluetooth mono".

If you are testing with Google Now, it won't "listen" the words "OK google" when using Bluetooth mono because the device has to be tricked into thinking you are in a phone call to get Bluetooth mono to play media.

If I open Google Now and manually press the microphone button, I can talk into the Bluetooth microphone and get the audio response back through the Bluetooth headset. It won't work in Google Now if the phone is on vibrate or silent as the audio is probably sent as a notification.

If that doesn't work, it would be that your are using a tablet that is not meant for phone calls? Maybe trying to trick the OS into thinking it is in a call won't work if the phone call API's are missing from the tablet.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SL Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 am

Thank you for your quick response.

My settings are as follows:
Media audio: Bluetooth mono
Phone call audio: Bluetooth mono
Bluetooth Behavior (checked items):
Bluetooth Auto Enable
Disconnect to speaker
Text-To-Speech Behavior
Android TTS Settings/ Preferred Engine: SoundAbout TTS
Audio output: Bluetooth mono

With these settings, both audio and speech go through the tablet speaker. I tried checking (Mono) Media audio usage and Phone call usage in the Bluetooth Behavior settings, but that didn't change anything. It also didn't make a difference whether the Preferred TTS Engine was SoundAbout TTS or Google, and setting the TTS Audio Output to Let App Decide also didn't make any difference.

To clarify, I only need the speech and audio to go through the BT when they are running the custom app that I am writing. I don't need it for Google Now or anything. Also, the audio that needs to go to the BT is TTS audio as well as some small sound (eg. mp3) files.

Thanks so much!

SL

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:38 am

I have a new Beta version on the site, but I think your issue is that the table is not accepting the fake that SoundAbout is faking a phone call status to get audio over Bluetooth mono. Some tablets may behave that way as they aren't meant to use for phone calls.

If you pair/connect the Bluetooth headset and you set "Media audio" to "Bluetooth mono" then play music, does the music come out of the headset?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SL Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:51 am

When I pair/connect the Bluetooth headset and set Media audio to BT mono and try to play a wav file, nothing comes out. When I turn off my BT, the sound goes through the speaker. What does that mean?
Also, how do I know if my tablet has the Phone Call APIs?
Thank you so much for your help?

SL

Back to top Go down

Post by SL Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:54 am

I just tried playing the wav file with Media Audio set to BT A2DP and it did go through the BT.

SL

Back to top Go down

Post by SL Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I downloaded the Beta version and set the following settings:
Media Audio: BT mono
Phone call audio: BT mono
TTS Behavior/Audio Output: BT mono
Bluetooth Behavior (the following items are checked)
Bluetooth Auto Enable
Phone call audio usage
(Mono) Microphone override
Bluetooth disconnect audio

Result: TTS went to the tablet speaker

When I unchecked Phone call audio usage and (Mono) Microphone override, and switched the Media Audio & TTS Audio Output to A2DP, the sound came through the BT clearly, but the voice recognition did not.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this!

SL

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Bluetooth A2DP is for high quality one way (no microphone) audio. That should work even if the device does not support phone functions.

Getting Bluetooth mono to work requires the tablet allow phone functions to work on the tablet.

If the headset used for Bluetooth mono is paired, try the directions in the following thread and let me know how the device is paired:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/t11-check-if-bluetooth-device-pairs-as-phone-media-or-both
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SL Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:17 pm

It's paired as both Phone audio and Media audio. Does that mean that the Nexus 7 does have the phone APIs installed?

SL

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:26 pm

It's hard to say. You can't receive real phone calls so we can't test it. VOIP calls over the web don't count, as they are considered network communications. I'll have to see if anyone has had issues with tablets and phone API's on XDA developer forums.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SL Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 am

I looked all around online, and it seems that you are right; it does not have the phone APIs. However, I am still able to change certain settings and have it work for audio or for speech; I just can't make it do both at the same time.
My question is if it's possible for me to programmatically change SoundAbout's settings. I just experimented and set the media audio and TTS audio to A2DP and then at the point in code where I want the speech recognition, I used the AudioManager.setBluetoothScoOn(true) - this worked well and it recognized the speech through the bluetooth. I am wondering if it's possible and better for me to do the same thing by changing SoundAbout's settings.

SL

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm

You could, but to do it yourself, you could use :

setBluetoothScoOn(true)

//Start bluetooth SCO audio connection.
startBluetoothSco()

setBluetoothScoOn(false)

//Stop bluetooth SCO audio connection.
stopBluetoothSco()
SoundAbout