SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically

2 posters

Go down

Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically Empty Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically

Post by garyk66 Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 am

Hi. I bought the pro version. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, 4.4.2 on Verizon.

I would like to set up the app so it uses Bluetooth unless I have a wired headset plugged in.  In this case I want it to automatically switch to wired, and then switch back to Bluetooth when I unplug the wired headset.  The app itself doesn't seem to do this.

However, I noticed you have a widget, which I was hoping the would switch between Bluetooth and wired when I plug-in  or unplug a wired headset. It seems it should do that since the widget say, "detect" at times.  The app seems to know when I plug in the wired headset, because it adjusts to the volume I have it set to, but it doesn't switch it automatically.

Please let me know how to set this up to do what I want it to.

garyk66

Back to top Go down

Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically Empty Re: Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically

Post by SoundAbout Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:58 pm

Usually users with Samsung phones use the app to do the opposite because they want to plug the headset jack into the car to stream music, but want Bluetooth used for phone calls.

I would think a Samsung S5 would favor the wired headset and switch to Bluetooth A2DP automatically when the headset was unplugged, but maybe they don't favor the wired headset anymore.

Right now, SoundAbout favors Bluetooth A2DP over a wired headset so it will switch to Bluetooth A2DP if a device is available. I plan to make it so that you can switch the default hirerarch when media audio is set to "let app decide".

What I do for now is plug in the wired headset cable and press the headset widget to the ON position. This forces the wired headset to be used. Then I press the widget to OFF or unplug the wired headset to use Bluetooth A2DP.

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically Empty Re: Wired Headset Widget Does Not Toggle Automatically

Post by garyk66 Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks, David.  That is what I have been doing. I do get some inconsistent behavior though, which might have to do with the order in which steps are taken.  

Usually, I get in my car and I plug in the Aux cable into the phone.  I start the car, and SoundAbout switches on for BT mono.  I can use the widget, but in this case the Plugin On/Off volume setting does not apply itself. I would have to unplug it and the plug it back in and then tap the widget to On again.  The issue here is that I have to do too much fiddling around when I just want to get in my car, connect the phone and drive.

A point of note is that neither of my cars (2008 Infiniti M35x and 2008 Toyota Sienna Ltd.) appear to support A2DP, which is why I needed SoudAbout is the first place. So SoundAbout must favor ALL BT over wired, not just A2DP.  

Also, the phone calls still do play through BT even when I have the wired Aux connection, which is how I want it.

The reason I looked for an app like SoundAbout was because I found that Google Maps would not read out directions through the car's BT connection from my phone, but it would read them out from my wife's iPhone 4S.  However, some apps, like "SMS, My Car & Me" seem to be programmed to use BT mono.  That app has always read out SMS messages over BT, even before I tried SoundAbout.

garyk66

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Yes, Apple does the same thing. They have an advantage because they will always know what Bluetooth drivers are being used...etc. With Android you have so many different manufactures that it is hard to keep things compatible. Most of the time, to get over compatibility, you have to go down the road of rooting the phone and trying different Android ROMs and kernels that can over come some of these issues.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by garyk66 Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks, but do you have any feedback or advice on how I indicated I use your app and addressing some of the issues I face?

garyk66

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

You said you plug in the Aux cable and "SoundAbout switches on for Bluetooth mono". Does it connect to the car stereo right away using Bluetooth mono?

What is the SoundAbout "Media Audio" setting? Is it set to "Let app decide"?

Do you want it to connect to Bluetooth mono always (when not using the wired headset connection)?

You could try the Beta version and do the following:

1] Try going into Manage Apps, find SoundAbout.
2] Click on it and clear cache, clear data, force stop, and un-install.
3] Download and install the Beta from here:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions
4] Put the "Headset toggle" on the home screen.
5] Keep defaults, except for "Connectable devices" / "Bluetooth settings" / "Media audio behavior" / you can turn ON the "Bluetooth (mono) auto usage" setting. This will automatically use Bluetooth mono when "Media Audio" is set to "Let app decide" and the "Headset toggle" widget is not set to ON.

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by garyk66 Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm

SoundAbout connects to the car stereo right away. I would like the app to use Bluetooth unless I plug in the wired via aux setup. But it would be nice if the app could detect when the wired connection is in (and use those profile setting for volume, etc.) and switch to wired automatically. Is that possible?

garyk66

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Right now, it's not possible as the Bluetooth A2DP and Bluetooth mono are checked BEFORE the wired headset connection. I did this because the wired headset connection can be switched quickly with the widget toggle. Once I figure out how to implement a drag/drop sorting control, you will be able to switch the order of the audio output settings when the phone is set to "Let app decide". If I were to put this in, without a drag/drop ordering control, you can imagine how much room all the settings would take up.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by garyk66 Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 pm

OK.  Then it sounds like there is no reason for me to try the beta version you mentioned above, right?

I think a priority list of outputs would be great.  That way if the app does not detect the wired device, it can proceed to BT, etc.

I appreciate your prompt replies.  Thanks!

garyk66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down