SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Settings for wired connection reset constantly.

3 posters

Go down

Settings for wired connection reset constantly. Empty Settings for wired connection reset constantly.

Post by loungeact21 Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm using soundabout to solve an issue with my LG G3 where the phone doesn't recognize when an audio cord is plugged into it. It fixes this problem well when I set media audio from "let app decide" to "wired headphones". My problem is that the settings keeps going back to "let app decide", so basically every time I get in the car and plug my phone in to play music, I first have to open soundabout and configure the settings. Is there a way I can set it up and have it save my settings?

loungeact21

Back to top Go down

Settings for wired connection reset constantly. Empty Re: Settings for wired connection reset constantly.

Post by SoundAbout Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:46 am

I will have to check. It may be that it is detecting when you unplug the headphones and is changing the media audio to "let app decide". It does this so you don't forget and miss phone calls / texts because the audio would try to go to a wired headphone that is no longer connected.

You could leave the media audio setting on "let app decide" and instead put a widget named "Headset toggle" on the home screen. You can use the widget to turn the wired headset ON and OFF.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Settings for wired connection reset constantly. Empty Re: Settings for wired connection reset constantly.

Post by polkabike Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:37 am

I have the paid version, and this happens to me as well but with phone call audio, and it happens independently of whether i unplug the headphones. For instance, i plug in the headphones, i set phone call audio to "wired headphones" and go on listening to music, some time later when a phone call arrives, it is not routed to the headphones. When i check the app it's back to "let app decide". I tested it with and without headphones, after a certain period it resets to "let app decide". I tried clearing app data, tried reinstalling, tried using "foreground" and "auto-restart" options; nothing helped.

I'm using a Galaxy S3, Android 4.3

polkabike

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 am

Once in a while, the app fires the headset_plug check to check if one is plugged in. There must be a case where it is getting back a result indicating that the headset is no longer plugged in and assumes you want the audio back to "let app decide" so you don't miss anything.

I will dig into that.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polkabike Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 am

How does the app check for headphone presence? I ask because Android 4.3 on S3 no longer displays the headphone icon when headphones are plugged in. However, the system still notes their presence silently or partially as evident from music player pausing and continuing playback upon disconnecting/connecting headphones. Do you think this could play a part? An easy fix for this and a way to bring back the headphone icon is to enable the page buddy for headphones.

polkabike

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 am

Apps can register to receive the HEADSET_PLUGIN broadcast intent. When the app registers for this intent it gets an initial result (plugged in or un-plugged) so that the app can have a baseline status of the headset. SoundAbout may re-register this intent if it needs to force an updated status of the headset (because of all the audio changes the app makes).

That headset icon is just a result of the launcher/status-bar listening to the same HEADSET_PLUGIN broadcast. If that icon is removed, it won't affect the HEADSET_PLUGIN intent actually being sent or not.

However, if the icon is "supposed" to be shown in the status-bar and is not showing, then that could indicate that the phone is not sending the HEADSET_PLUGIN broadcast intent to all the listening clients. It doesn't sound like that is your issue though.

My guess is that the headset icon was removed to make room for other possible icons. In Android 4.3, there was a change to force any app that runs in the foreground to display an icon in the status-bar. The removal of the headset icon may have been to make room for the many status-bar icons that were expected to start showing up in the status-bar.

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polkabike Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks for the in-depth response! Here's what i discovered after some systematic testing. Turning on page buddy solves the spontaneous resetting issue. However, when someone calls me the call is not routed to the headphones, and the settings are reset to "let app decide". This seems independent of using the page buddy, and happens both when setting individual settings within the app, or when using the widget to route all audio to headphones. The reason i haven't caught this before is because i was blaming it on the spontaneous resetting, which does occur. Also, upon receiving/ending the call the buddy page for headphones disappears and the phone behaves as though the headphones are no longer plugged in. If i then use the widget again to route audio to headphones, calling works, however, upon ending the call the media player audio is routed to phone speakers and the phone doesn't detect the headphones.

I was just about to test everything with Wired Headset Detection turned off, when i decided to first see what turning off Wired Headset microphone option would do. Turning it off fixed everything! With the microphone detection off, everything works as it should; the headphones are detected automatically on plugging in, and the phone call audio is routed to them, which i didn't even know was a current feature of the app.

I'll just have to see if the spontaneous resetting will return if i turn off the buddy page for headphones, hopefully it's resolved as well. I hope this gives you some helpful insight on resolving the issues, while providing others with a quick workaround.

polkabike

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:50 am

Yes,  turning off headset detection will ignore the HEADSET_PLUGIN broadcast intent.  It was the first part of SoundAbout.  The app's original goal was to "fix" an issue where phone would think a headset was being plugged in when it was not.

I know the current version that I am working on doesn't reset the media audio back to "let app decide" when you unplug the headphones.  The app will pop up a warning instead.

I can't remember if the posted Beta has this new code or not.

Download it and give it a shot.  Just turn the setting to "Detect headphones" back on.

Download the Beta here:
https://soundabout.forumotion.com/f8-download-beta-versions
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polkabike Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:32 am

You misunderstood me. What fixed the problem wasn't turning off "Wired Headset detection", rather turning off "Wired Headset microphone". I can't say why, but this fixed all the problems i mentioned. Now that the app works perfectly, the resetting to "Let App Decide" upon unplugging headphones is most welcome.

polkabike

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 am

Oh, I understand. I've had plenty of other complaints of automatically switching media audio to "let app decide" so I made it a warning. I may have to make it configurable (ON/OFF), but there are so many settings already that it can get confusing.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down