SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop..

3 posters

Go down

New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop.. Empty New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop..

Post by Trueglich Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:51 pm

ok I am going to do a bit of history here that make not be 100% relivant but I want to provide it in case it is.

3 Days ago I received the OTA for LMY48M that address the new lock screen exploit. The OTA would not install so i had to load the image via USB and in error i accidentally wiped my phone in process. I reloaded phone and all my apps including sound about (not sure what version at time since the new one just released) everything worked fine for a day the only setting i put in sound about is to play notification and rings on the phone speaker and on Bluetooth because i wear a LG tome headset and i don't turn it off when i am not using it so without sound about i don't hear notifications when the ear bugs are in the collor around my neck.. Starting today and i assume it was because sound about updated overnight i had one of 2 sets of symptoms. One I would try to play media and nothing happens (play button responded but no sound and no advancing of the song/book/podcast time index followed shortly by the phone becoming unsable and either locking up or rebooting. Or the media would play once but as soon and I paused and started again the same lockup/crashes started happening. I noticed that when i was able to force power down music would start playing for a few sec during power down. So i started uninstalling apps that had background elements. when i got to removing sound about and restarting my phone i was able to start and stop media with no issue and no lock lock ups or crashing.. Reinstalling sound about from play store make issue reappear . Not sure if its not playing nice with new nexus build or one of my other apps but I would really love it back please Smile

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop.. Empty Re: New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop..

Post by Trueglich Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:12 pm

ok I think i know what i did wrong. Before i installed the app set my setting then rebooted. I just tired it where i reinstalled rebooted then setup app. and rebooted again for good measure my phone appears stable.

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop.. Empty Re: New version makes my nexus 5 a doorstop..

Post by SoundAbout Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 pm

I'm wondering how hold of a version of SoundAbout was installed before the OTA update?

There may have been a really old setting that has changed. Sometimes this causes hanging issues in Android apps.

If I have an issue, with an app, after a big Android update, I usually do the following:

1) Go into Phone settings and press Apps
2) Scroll down to app (SoundAbout)
3) Press app
4) Press Clear Cache, then Clear Data, then Force Stop, then Un-intall.
5) Re-Install the app and then restart the phone.

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:00 am

my apps are on auto update so most likely what ever was current at time. BTW probelsm back too about 10 hours but it returned it also apparently keeps me from picking up a call when it goes nuts..

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:25 am

ok i just did
1) Go into Phone settings and press Apps
2) Scroll down to app (SoundAbout)
3) Press app
4) Press Clear Cache, then Clear Data, then Force Stop, then Un-intall.
5) Re-Install the app and then restart the phone.

and its working again we will see again in 24 hours.

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:10 am

There could be another app that is butting heads. Audio is tricky in Android and when a few different apps are changing settings, weird behavior can occur.

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:12 pm

nothing new installed recently. So unless its a update no clue. Let see how long it stays stable this time.

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by lightyagami Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi good morning. I have a no-brand name phone Ulefone Be Pure that runs on Kikat 4.4.2 chipset:mediatek mt6592m. Whenever I'm trying to output the sound through usb, it doesn't work. Can you please support this chipset for usb audio routing. That would be very much appreciated. Thanks. I already post this suggestion on the play store. I hope you can fix this. Thanks.

lightyagami

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Well was working well.   Installed todays update and rebooted about 3 hours ago   and it just happned again.,  BTW For got to mention after some of the crashs bluetooth is disabled in my phone and i have to re enable it. i am forced stoping and clearing data now followed by reboot  see if that has any effect.

-- edit phone locked up again.. Uninstalling for a few days just to make sure it is sound about and not something else messing with me..

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

For USB:

That all depends on the phone USB drivers being compatible with the stereo and what version of Android.

Android 5.0 introduced APIs for USB Audio, but of the stereo does not recognize the phone as a USB audio source, I'm not sure if it will work.

The SoundAbout Media Audio setting can be set to USB host to send a signal that the files are available on the phone, but to control the music from the phone, you need a music app that will play the music files and send the audio over a USB audio channel.  Like I said, this may be possible using Android 5.0+.

You may just need a Micro USB OTG Adapter, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-5in-Micro-Host-Adapter/dp/B00B4GGW5Q

Last edited by SoundAbout on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Trueglich wrote:only setting i put in sound about is to play notification and rings on the phone speaker and on Bluetooth because i wear a LG tome headset
and i don't turn it off when i am not using it so without sound about i don't hear notifications when the ear bugs are in the collar around my neck.

1) You have "Alert behavior" / Bluetooth (A2DP) / Notifications To / set to "Phone Speaker + A2DP (override)"
2) You have "Alert behavior" / Bluetooth (A2DP) / Ringtones To / set to "Phone Speaker + A2DP (override)"
3) You restarted the phone.

Trueglich wrote:One I would try to play media and nothing happens (play button responded but no sound and no advancing of the song/book/podcast time index followed shortly by the phone becoming unstable and either locking up or rebooting.

4) Did you play media again?
5) What media app?
6) Was the Bluetooth A2DP headset connected when you played the media?

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:15 pm

1,2,3   yes

4. after reboot i have a 50 50 chance and getting to play once then if i stop and restart it starts locking up phone and or crashing.  after a complete purge of app and reisnatll is good for 5-24 hours before starting again.

5. Audible,  pocketcast and google music all show issue

6.  yes I generally have something linked to my phone A2dP 24/7  either my car my LG tone or my bedside speaker Smile   why i need rings and notictaions to also come out phone in case the ear buds are not currently in my ears Smile

***edit..  ok...  something up   I uninstalled sound about and rebooted and i am still getting my noticataions and rings on phone speaker  with my head set connected.   going to reboot my phone again and see if it keeps happening

** edit again..    Well  this is interesting.   sound about has been out of my phone now for 3 reboots.   When rebooted my Bluetooth was disabled.   I enabled and and connected my headset.   call and texted myself from other phone and its all still coming out phone speaker   also parascope  set off notification and it came out speaker as did a notification from reddit sync.     Is it possible goggle sherlocked you? I mean I always found it stupid that it did only send rings and notifications via Bluetooth when you had one. Nexus always gets googles new toys first so perhasp that was part of this months patch?

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:41 pm

When you un-installed SoundAbout, did you fully clear the cache, clear data, force stop, and then un-install?

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:42 pm

think so...  can't be sure..  could it have left stuff behind?

** that last uninstall not sure. previous ones for sure..

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:24 pm

To be sure, I usually fully clear. You can install it again and then fully clear the cache, clear data, force stop, and then un-install.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Okay I just reinstalled rebooted, set my settings, clear cache and data settings, forced stop and uninstalled then rebooted. After reboot I'm still getting the sound to the phone when my bluetooth headset is active. Do you have a nexus 5 that you can bring up to the new image and see if you get the same effects to see if you've been sherlocked. Or is my phone is somehow we reacting to another app giving the same effect for some reason and fighting sound about?    Please note I'm doing this by voice reply so please excuse any weird words

*edit Got back home and fixed this post to be a bit more understandable since i voice dictated it on my phone before.

Last edited by Trueglich on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:00 pm

The update that you received could have just changed the default audio output for the notifications from an attached device only to notifications going to the attached device AND the phone speaker.

Your update is for Android 5.1.1. Were you already using 5.1.1, with this being a fix or did you move from a lower version of Android?
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:04 pm

LMY48L to LMY48M   5.1.1  I have not loaded Android M on this device i  just  stick to public releases I mainly have a NEXUS 5 because i hate waiting for security fixes not to play with betas or 3th party roms.

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:55 pm

So now, the notifications seem to be going to Bluetooth AND the speaker as you wanted.

I'm still wondering what was causing SoundAbout to go haywire. It sounds like the Bluetooth signal was disconnecting and reconnecting. I have some issues with Android and Bluetooth as well. It's mainly if I connect and disconnect Bluetooth rapidly.

You may be able to clear the cache for Bluetooth Share and re-pair the devices:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-lollipop-problems/11/

Apparently, every time you connect, it gets logged. This log fills up and causes issues:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/05/20/bug-watch-bluetooth-will-begin-crashing-after-encountering-too-many-ble-devices-affects-kitkat-4-4-and-jelly-bean-4-3/
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trueglich Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 am

I have cleared cashe a few times as part of my troubleshooting so i don't think its that. But i guess for the time i have what i want even if sound about is uninstalled. odd that.

Trueglich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down