SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Notification Access and SA Notification Listener

3 posters

Go down

Notification Access and SA Notification Listener Empty Notification Access and SA Notification Listener

Post by DLCPhoto Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:49 am

New user of SoundAbout, on a Verizon Galaxy Note 3, stock ROM, Android 5.0.

As I'm exploring how to configure SA for my purposes, I've come across the "Notification Access" area of settings, where "SA Notification Listener" is one of the options.

1. Does this need to be enabled/checked for SA to work properly when it's in use? I assume yes, so I do have it enabled, but if this isn't correct, please advise.

2. I don't want SA to be running all the time - if I set SoundAbout Service to "off" in the App itself, I see that the "SA Notification Listener" is still checked, and SA is included in the Running Apps, with 1 process and 1 service. Is this changing how my phone handles audio routing in any way?

If I physically connect my phone to my car to use Android Auto, I don't need SA at all; if I want to use my phone by bluetooth only, without Android Auto, this is where I'm hoping to have SA enable more functionality. So when not in use, I don't want SA to have any affect on my phone.

DLCPhoto

Back to top Go down

Notification Access and SA Notification Listener Empty Re: Notification Access and SA Notification Listener

Post by SoundAbout Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:58 pm

1) It should be checked so SoundAbout can respond and update the vibrate/silent notification status of the phone.

2) SoundAbout will no longer respond to things like headset plug-in, phone ring and won't let you change the audio output. I would set things to let app decide before turning off the SoundAbout Service. One problem with shutting off SoundAbout Service is when you are using SoundAbout TTS. The SoundAbout TTS wrapper needs the SoundAbout Service in order to swap the audio output.

I will look at setting the media audio, phone audio to "let app decide" when the service gets shut off.

Also, the SoundAbout TTS should also just use the current audio output if SoundAbout TTS is disabled.

SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Notification Access and SA Notification Listener Empty Re: Notification Access and SA Notification Listener

Post by DLCPhoto Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the reply and info!

DLCPhoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman24 Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:18 am

I still don't fully understand this notification listener. Is there a con to not using it. I hardly go into silent or vibrate. If I do, it's automatically by the phone.

Iceman24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 pm

SoundAbout needs to know when you or the phone go into vibrate/silent mode so that it can respond accordingly.

It never used to, but since the changes in 5.0, these new listeners are necessary. They are still being changed in Android in 6.0.1, so it is getting fairly confusing. Smile
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman24 Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:35 pm

I see. Well, being that I still am on Android 4 and won't be up to 5, 6, or 7 until at least close to 2017, I'll assume I don't need to have it running then, right?

Iceman24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 pm

If you change the API level on this page, it will show the minimum:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/service/notification/NotificationListenerService.html

API 18 is Android 4.3 .
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman24 Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:35 am

I have 4.4.4. So am I fine with the listener service?

Iceman24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:19 am

If it asks you to allow SoundAbout to use the Listener Service, I would so that it can detect the phone changes.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman24 Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:31 am

Okay. It never asked me. I happened to notice it in the Security settings, enabled it. I eventually I turned it back off, never noticed any loss in functionality or any ask since. I'll assume I'm fine.

Thanks.

Iceman24

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 am

OK, good. Thank you.
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down