SoundAbout
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice

2 posters

Go down

Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice Empty Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice

Post by Pariah Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:26 am

DEVICE and ROM Info: SCH-I535 (D2VZW), Android 4.3 (VRBMF1 based - CleanROM 8 Core edition)
BLUETOOTH DEVICE: 1 Jabra Drive 1 Jabra Tour [v1.38 firmware] [tiny bit of info regarding limited testing I did with a Platronics Voyager Platinum earpiece I own]
OTHER SOFTWARE INVOLVED: Samsung Voice [Galaxy 3 version]

I realize this maybe long I tried to be thorough so as to not miss anything useful please skim through this and get what you need I am not expecting people to read every word if they do not have the time I am just hoping I can get help figuring this out, thank you in advance for your understanding...

Hello,
This is my first post in this forum, and I looked quite a bit and did not see anything relating to or describing the issue I am seeing so I thought I would give this a shot as I see the developer is quite responsive to legit issues and that is nice to see.

So, I am a huge Android fan [who acknowledges the glaring faults like bluetooth support!  (Who would have thought people would be using a need a stable bluetooth stack on their phones and tablets)] who has compiled ROMs [paranoid], and made changes to CyanogenMOD 7 [I know I am old], so I am pretty good at working with issues and finding working solutions for them.

My Boss owns a Galaxy 3 from Verizon [SCH-I535 (D2VZW), Android 4.3 (VRBMF1 based - CleanROM 8 Core edition)] which I rooted for him and installed a Touchwiz based ROM so that he could use Samsung software like SVoice which he loves for his Bluetooth.  He uses 2 different Bluetooth car speakerphones for his Galaxy by Jabra which are the Drive and the Tour which are pretty spiffy; they support A2DP, have noise cancelling microphones, etc.

So he was just introduced to S-Voice and wanted it on his phone.  I went and found it and the components and got it working flawlessly via the external speaker on the physical device.

I went and got his Jabra Tour [the newer of the 2 and essentially the successor to the Drive it has a motion sensor instead of having to turn it off and on to wake it from sleep] and connected it to the phone.  He went and hit the voice command button and several seconds later it the Tour stated "Feature Not Supported" [the Jabra has it's own voice system to respond to the user and alert to different conditions and issues and all and he got the chooser menu on his phone screen and chose S-Voice, and it opened and polled the Tour correctly and listened to his command to tell him the time and yay happy.  I told him oh it will say feature not supported until you hit always use and the menu does not come up and the Tour thinks there was a problem with starting the voice command no worries [HA I know  better than make that statement right].  So, he went ahead and purchased a Pro license from the market and began to play with his phone now the speaker was working, and you know how it goes sometimes...

Well it turns out when he tries to hit the button again nothing would come up on the phone as if he had not hit the button for the voice command when he had and the Tour itself would start responding with the Feature not Supported message each time you hit the voice command button from then on on the speaker.  We found out that if you started S-Voice by hitting any on screen shortcut or if driving mode is running we can drag down the notification tray and tap the driving mode notification, and that also pulls up S-Voice and immediately informs him it is waiting for a command with the usual beep and accepts his voice command just fine. Then if he restarts the phone it would work the one time via the bluetooth speaker.  This would also happen on rare occasions when we turned the speaker off and back on between one command and the next as well.

Did some searching online and came across SoundAbout, and read through and thought it may help if the audio routing were causing the hang ups [Android is notorious for holding open some audio forever or not sending it to the right place OR giving the user options to choose where it goes under what conditions which seems like it should be built-in to system settings somewhere [I have had my onscreen touch sounds daemon go nuts and not sleep, I have had the Bluetooth sound do the same, etc.]].

After installing and restarting the phone using just the defaults of the app, and choosing the service to be on demand we ran through the same test of trying commands 2x. Well it was a little better this time the first time it opens, prompts, accepts yay, now the voice command was still on screen, and did not reset to listening for a command it sat there showing him the weather panel per his request so he hit the voice command button again, this time the voice command window that was open closes back to his home screen.  Ok, well, I had him hit it a 2nd time and low and behold the voice command came back and prompted again and then stopped again as before.  Better, but still odd it does not either re-prompt waiting for an exit or cancel prompt from him or exit to the home screen after a set time given for him to view the result to his last command.  S-Voice's voice wakeup command ["Hi Galaxy"] works with the phone's external speaker, but does not ever work at anytime via his Jabra Bluetooth Speaker.

At some point the voice prompts dropped out.  When you open S-Voice it generally has an audio greeting, and when you search it has a voiced reply.  After sometime and trying to use both the SoundAbout and Samsung TTS it just stopped.  After restarting the phone it came back and it will work under both Samsung and SoundAbout TTS engines after restart.  This just seems like an error somewhere that stops this switch over from taking full effect possibly, but it is not easily reproducible as I have tried a few times and it does not always stop voice prompts only every once in awhile when it feels like it it stops and needs a phone restart.

Now we also tried the Beta after I read a posting in which a user having some kinda sorta similiar issue was told Android made changes yet again in 4.3 to the Bluetooth stack [Yeah, we can't nail a stable bluetooth stack to begin with, why don't we add features to it and make it more complex before we get the basics hammered down?]   and the reply was to clear app cache and install the newest Beta which had some code adjusts for this possibly and should help.  Well in fact for this phone it made things worse and we ended up having to turn off and on the Bluetooth speaker and or sometimes restart the phone to get it to listen to more than 1 command before the speaker itself [not from Android] would begin stating "Not Supported" and would not do anything on the phone.  and we had to restart the phone to get things back and not just the speaker.  I removed everything aside from the pro key and downgraded back to market version and it all began to run at least in a somewhat usable fashion.

I have tried some manual settings of setting media to mono just to see and switching back and forth betwwen TTS engines, and setting the service to foreground [left that way as it seems to lose the SoundAbout fixes otherwise in screen off meaning something was killing it so foreground seems to have stopped that part].  Other than that if I move anything other than phone calls to mono the phone seems to drop the A2DP media connect and I think in Mono opens a channel [I can hear it open in my ear] but it does not play anything nor accept voice commands at all (tried mono mic too].  Seems that only the default SoundAbout app settings give us the best situation and we just have to restart the speaker between commands and the Jabra itself states "Not Supported".

Also, I own a nice Platronics Voyager Legend [really nice $100+ headset], and it will operate his voice command as expected with the only caveat being if I run a voice command and it gives me the result I have to hit the voice command button on my headset and again a second or 2 later to get it to close S-Voice and have S-Voice come back up and prompt again for my next command.  I would not be bothered by this and call this a good deal, but when using his speaker it does that feature not supported and will not bring up S-Voice again until he restarts the speaker which is not going to work :-(  [Of course this is my boss' phone why would I not have issues that make me look like an idiot when trying to help him out LoL].

I am sorry if this seems a little long I am trying to be as detailed as I can to give you the best platform to think on as I am hoping this is something we can get to work a little more.  If I contradicted myself too much somewhere as I was conferring with my boss to remember all of the testing we did and what each change produced please let me know.  If you have any suggestions I am more than happy to play a little [within reason I DO NOT want to factory reset or do any edits that may cause him issues elsewhere in the system [market compatibility, his icons, etc]. Aside from that he gives me free reign and I do run Nandroid backups and all so I guess if really needed a factory reset would not KILL me, but would have to nandroid then buy him Titanium Pro to restore apps from the Nandroid after the wipe.

Pariah

Back to top Go down

Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice Empty Re: Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice

Post by Pariah Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 am

bump, I know it is a little long, please skim through and see if you may have an idea if you have a minute please.

Pariah

Back to top Go down

Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice Empty Re: Soundabout on Galaxy 3 [VZW] odd issues alongside Samsung Voice

Post by SoundAbout Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:39 am

I've seen that "feature not supported" message due to an attempted phone book download via Bluetooth.

I searched and found that the Jabra Tour does do something with the phone book.

Search for "phone book" here:
http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-TOUR-Bluetooth-In-Car-Speakerphone/product-reviews/B008VOPF8O?pageNumber=3

Try going into manage apps, running apps, and stopping the BluetoothPbapService.

See if it works better with that service killed.

I looked and found some information:

PBAP replacement app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android_rsap.irmc

http://www.android-rsap.com/bluetooth-phonebook.html
SoundAbout
SoundAbout
Admin

https://soundabout.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down